Monday, July 13, 2020

White People Need Not Apply

Hollywood's identity crisis: Actors, writers and producers warn of 'reverse racism' in the film industry which has created a 'toxic' climate for anyone who is a white, middle-age man

The first sign came with one of the most powerful black directors in Hollywood, Oscar-winning Jordan Peele – the man behind box office hits such as Get Out and Us – stated in public that he did not want to hire a leading man who was white. 

'I don't see myself casting a white dude as the lead in my movie,' Peele said. 'Not that I don't like white dudes. But I've seen that movie before.'

As one studio executive responded privately: 'If a white director said that about hiring a black actor, their career would be over in a heartbeat.' Few doubt it.

Strictly speaking, this violates both federal and state laws.  It is a shame neither jurisdiction allows private persons to bring a criminal case.

2 comments:

  1. If a white director said that about black actors, the consensus of advice for him was to watch behind him when he was walking, and doubly careful when crossing the street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I think he's demonstrated that he doesn't need my money, either.

    ReplyDelete