Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Food Memories

I was having a chili dog for lunch, and the chili triggered a messy memory. 

It was 1971.  We were driving north to Seattle for my grandmother's funeral.  My parents had this monstrously big and very fast 1967 Pontiac Ventura.  It developed engine problems (timing chain? timing belt?) near Sacramento, so we spent the night waiting for repair.  We went to see Andromeda Strain, one of the most intense movies that I had seen until Alien. I had already read the book, and become addicted to the late Michael Crichton's writing.

Time before the showing was short so we went into a Denny's and ordered meals to go.  I ordered a "chili size" which in 1970s parlance was an open face burger smothered in chili.  Imagine a 14 year old eating this out of a Styrofoam container in the dark.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yea, I Remember the chill size at Denny’s they were big, piled high with cheese and onions. I had not though of that in a long time. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timing chain in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IIRC That novel was written during his "spare time" while he was in med school! Quite a genius.

    ReplyDelete