Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Expedia: Never Again

They told me that cancelling my existing flight reservations would get me about $320 in United flight credits that I could apply to new reservations.  The credits would appear when I made a new reservation.  No.  I have been on hold for an hour now waiting for a solution or explanation.  This is absurd.  Never Expedia!

Finally got a supervisor who straightened it out, but next time I will call United and talk to someone for whom English is a first or second language.

As it happens, my original reservations were right.  Tuesday's actions were unnecessary, but I ended up with better flights and a slightly cheaper room!  "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." -- Rom. 8:28

1 comment:

  1. I spent decades working in the travel reservations business, and am still doing some as a consultant.

    I try to avoid third party bookers like Expedia. When there are problems, you should be better off if your reservations were made directly with the provider.

    Also, some third party booked reservations can not be changed - they are prepaid. I made that mistake earlier this year when I failed to follow my own rule. I booked the hotel room through the airline that sold me the plane ticket. I had researched the motel, and even had stayed there decades before, so I thought it would be okay. I ended up in a terrible motel with unreliable hot water and a dismal room, and couldn't move without just abandoing up the price. Oops.

    So, beware. Expedia and others are good for discovering hotels in an area. But, I then book direct with the hotel, or use their chain's web site.

    ReplyDelete