Monday, May 14, 2012

Finished The Corvette Seat Repair!

I went out and bought a 2" thick piece of foam long enough to reinforce the crushed down left bolster.  This time, I completely removed the seat from the car, so that I could sit on it after I had done the reinforcing, but before putting it back in the car.  Then I put it back in the car.  It feels as good as new!

Of course, as these things go, when I turned on the air conditioning today before coming home from work, there was an awful vibration that appears to be the blower motor.  (Not dependent on A/C being on; directly proportional to A/C fan speed.)  A review of Corvette forums suggests that it is either blower motor bearings failed, or (in light of past history), a mouse nest.  If so, the little critters would have had to have hauled something heavy or stiff into the blower.

I went deep enough into the process to decide that this is something worth paying a professional to do.  I can't see the bolts that hold the blower motor in place, and I am not at all keen on the weird gymnastic position required to look under the glove compartment to figure this out.

UPDATE: It did indeed turn out to be a mouse doing what might be called a zombie version of a hamster wheel in the blower.  Removing the remains and desmelling it all will be about $150.  I think I will stop leaving the top off the car in the garage.  Our cat just isn't good enough at doing his job.

UPDATE 2: They forgot about the deodorizer for the A/C system (which since it adds $80, is probably something that kills bacteria, too).  The mouse was apparently lodged between the fan blade and the housing.  No, he was not in a position to comment about the experience.

2 comments:

  1. Well, the critter-in-the-blower problem isn't unique to Corvettes.

    I had that in a Taurus I purchased second-hand a decade ago.

    The process of repair sounds the same...crawl under the glove compartment, remove panels/covering, replace blower. Don't know how easy it is to get to the motor/bearings, but it may be hiding behind the blower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall reading once that if you want your cat to be a mouser (mauser?) you have to not feed it. Which I guess is why farmers of decades past had barn cats which were not fed and were considered easily expendable.

    ReplyDelete