Saturday, January 20, 2024

Venmo

One of you nice people sent me $20 using Venmo last year.  Try as hard as I could, I could never figure out to transfer that money out to my bank.

Recently, I received an email at my email address asking me to verify details about my account.  My name was Willie Jones.  Someone obviously saw my request for help last year, created a Venmo account and transferred that $20 away.  But it turns out that if you have an email address associated with that account, it is pretty easy to reset the password then change the profile.  There is no set of security questions required to reset the password.

Willie Jones is $20 richer (perhaps a lot for him) and I am $20 poorer (not even pocket change for me) and i learned an interesting lesson about how poor Venmo security is.

No comments:

Post a Comment