Saturday, November 27, 2021

Cold-Induced Angina Pectoris

I now see why the ER cardiologist wanted me to make an appointment with my cardiologist.   It was not a heart attack but when cold induces angina it indicates that you are likely demanding more oxygen than your heart can easily produce.  (Being cold creates a strong demand for more oxygen to burn calories to keep you warm.)  The reason people die of heart attacks while shoveling snow is not just the increased physical demand but in combination with very cold conditions.   I can assure you that being out under the stars in freezing weather burns a lot of calories.

I suspect he is going to want to do an angiogram to see if any cardiac arteries are in need of cleaning.  If only it was simpler: a self-propelled device just below artery size that did a Roto-Rooter on the arteries and then dissolved on the 3rd or 4th pass.  I suspect passing by aneurysms would be risky, however.

3 comments:

  1. I had an angiography where lasers were used to vaporize a blockage my cardiologist otherwise could not get through. Nearly 2 hours on the table with 99% of it unconscious due to administration of propofol. 21st Century medicine after all. Thanks to the heart doctors at Yale New Haven Hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get yourself a heated coat. The ever-indulgent wife and I have the Milwaukee ones - they have heated handwarmer pockets as well as the pads for your chest and back. They use a standard Milwaukee battery pack - the contractor style charger is great for recharging them. Get at least one spare battery. Dewalt also makes one if you have Dewalt tools. Get your spare batteries on Amazon to save a lot over the hardware store. Home Depot has been carrying the Milwaukee coats around this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to find one not made in China, without success, so I bought Milwaukee.

      Delete