Monday, July 16, 2018

E/R Enema at 2:00 AM is Never a Good Idea

The second phase of constipation was bad enough for me to drive to the E/R last night.  I was concerned that they might regard this as not a real "emergency."  The intake nurse had spent nine awful days after a tonsillectomy, so they took it seriously.  After an X-ray to rule out bowel obstruction they gave me what I hope will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, which loosened the logjam enough to reduce my pain and nausea enough to go home and sleep badly, a giant improvement over no sleep at all.  They also have a medicine that reverses opoid-induced constipation. 

I am still bloated and uncomfortable with some pain, but I can hear gurgling noises that suggest the factory is beginning to operate again.

If I have not already told you, avoid getting overweight, which is apparently a cause of umbilical hernias.  I spent too many years enjoying food in excess, with very high costs now.  The surgery diet, however, knocked off five pounds but bloat has kept my waist size unchanged.

No comments:

Post a Comment