Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Question for Black Powder Shooters

Is there a way to unload a black powder pistol without firing it?

I was actually looking for a 1783 way.


  1. First, you pull the bullet and wad using a screw.

    Then the powder generally pours out

  2. yes, IN a percussion cap pistol, there is a method that uses a small co2 cartridge (like used in BB guns) to blow the charge out of the barrel.
    in a flintlock, the only way I know is to use a screw on the end of the ramrod to pull the bullet and then shale the powder loose.
    I have not used the cos method but I have watched other do so. they appear to work.

  3. CO2 unloader. Several brands available


  4. Yes, there is a way, but it requires specific tooling. Briefly, you have to remove the "nipple" the cap goes on, and replace it with an apparatus holding a CO2 cartridge. The CO2 (when triggered) pushes the charge & bullet out of the bore without ignition. These devices used to be available commercially, but I haven't seen them in some time. I've no idea if they're still out there.

  5. The old school way is to screw something into the ball and pull it out

  6. Try a black powder ball puller, sometimes called a black powder bullet puller.
    PITA, but they do get the job done.
    P Monahan