Thursday, November 29, 2018

Grinding HSS Lathe Tools

I have never got the hang of this, no matter how much I read about the subject.  Now I can, because of this very entertaining machinist:


I have a number of used up (I thought) HSS lathe tools.  I just kept buying new carbide tipped tools from Sherline.  The tool I just ground, now produces a nice finish and cuts well without chatter.

And he has lots of interesting and funny videos, like making a go-kart for his kids using a chain saw engine, bicycle sprockets, and whatever was lying around his shop..

1 comment:

  1. THAT was astoundingly useful. Personally I've been using the disposable carbide tools, but this tells me a lot about what I was doing wrong with them (and why I kept breaking the tips off the d*mn things.)

    ReplyDelete