Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Still on the Hunt for a Useless Gun: Colt 1903 .32


Or the Colt 1908 .380, not hideously expensive (not collector priced).  I must be getting old; I want a gun that I will likely never fire.  It does not even need to be a fireable gun; a working metal replica with operating slide would be fine.

This describes a 6mm Airsoft replica that sounds pretty nice,  but cannot find it anywhere.

There is also the Colt-licensed new production Colt 1903 for $1273.   A pile of money for a gun that is going to be primarily artwork.

There are some reasonably priced used ones like this one at GunsAmerica.  I would likely have it reblued.  Christmas and property taxes have hurt a bit, but nice to know that there are okay priced ones out there.

11 comments:

  1. If you get a real one, needs to be in a good holster, or condition 3. Not drop safe, and various people have been injured or killed when they dropped it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never carry it. It is a masterpiece of design. That is why a replica would be fine.

      Delete
    2. I have a real one and it fires very good condition

      Delete
  2. Check Guns America every so often. There was one there for $599, but it's now sold: https://www.gunsamerica.com/950814448/COLT-1908-TYPE-IV-380ACP-MFG-193.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you just missed this one, but in case the original buyer falls through:

    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/handguns-pistols-revolvers/446860-colt-model-1903-pocket-hammerless-32-type-iii-produced-1913-a.html

    He says face-to-face, but sometimes they change their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure I understand what you are doing. Also not sure why it has to be a semi-auto (reference to a slide). I still have my Grandfather's black powder cartridge (0.32) New American double action revolver. My late father disassembled it as a high school student and found he couldn't quite get it back together. Barrel is loose, trigger is worthless (broken internal springs). But if your just looking for something to put in a holster.

    I have seriously though, if I was to carry, I would open carry it while concealed carrying something working. I always think if I was to carry someone would try to take the gun from the holster. Better he takes a non-working gun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the esthetics of this model that has me insane. Probably won't shoot at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eric: INGO seems to have an impossible antispam feature for registering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had one in .380 Auto. Sold it in 1970. The barrel had been all eroded from corrosive primers, the sharp parts of the slide cut my hands, and the low mass made the recoil painful. Totally didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I think I said, functional but ugly is fine. I would like have it redone in Robar NP3 or chrome. Mostly as an art deco item.

    ReplyDelete