Monday, April 21, 2014

U.S. Postal Service: They Don't Seem To Know What The IRS Is

My federal tax return was addressed to:

Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 7704
Fresno, CA 94120-7704 

The correct address is:

Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 7704
San Francisco, CA 94120-7704 

The post office bounced it back with a note indicating that they did not know who the IRS is.  The zip code (which is theoretically used for routing mail) is right; so is the P.O. Box.  And I could have sworn that IRS probably gets more than a few dozens pieces of mail this time of year.  Or perhaps there are fewer of us paying taxes than I guessed.

7 comments:

  1. To the contrary, the USPS is that dumb these days.

    And you are right, you'd think that the zip+4 would have resolved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in trouble now for a late return?

    I had a first class letter with an important check in it take from March 26th to April 15th to travel from Washington to Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the midst of a battle with the USPS, who can't seem to deliver a classified letter to my daughter. The really difficult part to understand is that they say they're leaving notices, but no such notices are turning up at my daughter's house. Where in the world are they trying to deliver it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I understand it, postmark date is what matters. And we have proof that it was postmarked (the first time) before April 15.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Increasing numbers of stories of carriers stealing mail/parcels is also worrisome and depending on who the post master is one may never recover anything.

    Mis-delivered mail seems to also on the increase (correctly addressed mail)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything of value I ship through Priority Mail. Tracking seems to discourage theft. One of my packages was stolen, and then redeposited in a mail box several days later. My guess is that the thieves opened it up, and said, "What is this? How can I pawn it?" and gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't ever use Zip+4 if it is not required. I made a first class mailing where everything was correct except the +4. It was returned. If I had omitted the +4, it would have been delivered.

    ReplyDelete