Monday, June 18, 2012

Went Shooting Yesterday With My Son

The place that I normally shoot, off Pearl Road, was heavily cattle infested, so we went down to the area off Black's Creek Road.  It was hot, and quite a ways away, but at least I didn't have to worry about destroying the natural beauty of the place.  (It was pre-destroyed in that respect.)

I haven't shot the AR-15 in several years, and I had forgotten how pleasant it is to shoot.  I still don't have the scope properly sighted in, but the iron sights seem to be spot on.  My son hasn't fired this rifle before, and he was pleased.  The Marlin Camp Carbine 9mm was great fun to shoot--what a neat little gun this is.

After dinner, we pulled out a longbow and did a bit of box shooting with that.  This is only a 25 pound pull, and yet a few minutes of it caused various upper body muscles to remind us that it really is a bit of work.  You have to wonder what the English archers at Crecy and Agincourt were like, using 130 to 180 pound draw weight bows.  Wow.  Men of steel.

1 comment:

  1. Talking about the 25 lb. pull bow reminded me of Howard Hill, remember him? didn't he once pull a 130 lb bow?

    ReplyDelete