Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Last Formatting Changes...

A number of my readers contributed some very nice suggestions for book covers last year--and they were well-done.  (Even the ones that didn't win were well done.)  CreateSpace has changed their cover creator recently to be a bit easier to work with than before.  Consequently, I used a powerful photograph of a homeless, almost certainly mentally ill main that I found through WikiCommons and the Creative Commons Attribution license.


Next week: the paperback and Kindle versions will be available.  The Kindle version will be $1.49. I'm not quite sure of the paperback edition yet--still waiting for the final print size to be determined.

I'm not usually up this late, but I want to get the paperback proof printed and on its way so that I have it by Saturday.  Lots of little niggling details to catch, then go back through and check all the pages online one more time...

UPDATE: Oh, this is getting old.  The last change, for no apparent reason, and one line of the Introduction went to a new page.  This would not be so bad if I did not have to get up for my day job in the morning.

I often fantasize about being to afford to teach college and write for a living.  I'll keep thinking of Dr. Evil in that Mike Myers movie: "One million books."

UPDATE 2: It looks like Calibre is the free tool for converting to ePub format used by Nook.

UPDATE 3: Another delay.  My daughter finished reading it, and was very impressed (and she is not prone to false praise).  She has a few suggestions, and since her bachelor's is in psychology, her master's is in social work, she has worked in a mental hospital, and she is very smart, I think her suggestions are well worth folding in.

5 comments:

  1. Will there be a Nook version, Clayton?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point me to the instructions for how to publish on Nook. I can probably do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like the native format for Nook is either EPUB or eReader PDB. I know Caliber converts to EPUB, and I suspect it also converts to the other.

    Just pull the document up in Caliber and save as the desired format.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to hearing when it is available and getting a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the Nook's native format is epub. I've used Caliber to convert from other formats, and it will work as long as there's no DRM protection, such as Amazon often puts on their Kindle formatted books.

    ReplyDelete