Friday, May 19, 2023

That Problem I Was Having With Books Not Appearing in Kindle

It appears that buying a Kindle edition in the Amazon Android app does not work.  Never a chance to swipe or click buy.  I bought it on my PC and boom!  There it was in my Kindle.

The book is Edgar Rice Burroughs' The Land That Time Forgot (actually the trilogy of which this is the first book). I watched a movie version of it made I think in the 1960s starring a very young Doug McClure.  You remember him right?

It seemed very derivative of the Lost World.  Several of his books' plots are shamelessly stolen from Wells or Verne.  But hey, Wells' The Sleeper Awakes is pretty well stolen from Edward Bellamy's Looking Backwards (1884).

Anyway, a pretty good film.  The special effects are as good as you expect from that era.  There is a surprising plot twist at the end.
.
The first two chapters are exciting and well -written.a

3 comments:

  1. Is your Kindle old? I have an old one and it doesn't seem to like some of the new formats. Haven't bought a book through it in some time so I don't know if I have the same problem as you but I wouldn't be surprised if I did. Hard to beat a good old Paperwhite Kindle for reading though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was in 1974, and Doug MacClure pretty much made a career of playing twenty-something leading men. It was much better than the later Lost World with Bob Hoskins, for example.

    ReplyDelete