Friday, April 22, 2022

Tiny Precision Saw

As should be obvious when you are making some on a CNC mill, you really do not want to cut a 2.5" piece of acetal to 1.75" by milling.  It is slow.  My chop saw does a pretty good job of cutting items that are at least 2" or more long.  Clamping stuff to the fence is difficult and holding stuff in place by hand only makes sense if you want the nickname Stubby.  

I started looking for precision cutting tools that have a small footprint and MicroMark looks like it might be the right place to start looking.   This little chop saw might be a little too small but I suspect that if I keep searching I will find one a bit bigger. 

4 comments:

  1. I’ve faced this myself more than a few times with small hard plastic or aluminum parts. If you have a chopsaw that works I highly recommend clamping your piece to something long and inexpensive. Same approach works well for a bandsaw.

    If I’m just doing one or two parts I’ll put my hacksaw frame in the bench vise blade up, hold the part with a hand on either side of the blade and draw it back and forth. Use lots of wax, clean your blade if it clogs, wear heavy gloves in case you get too friendly with the teeth, and back cut the far side before you get too far into the workpiece. It takes less effort than you might think.

    Of course if I had all the time and money in the world, I might prefer the power hacksaw from Hemingway Kits.

    Good luck and keep all your digits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to recommend MicroMark as well but if you've got a Harbor Freight nearby they have a little table saw for only $35 or so that might do the job for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The link under "...chop saw might be a little too small..." is https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Vixen-SG-2-1x42-Widefield-Constellation-Binoculars-Review-236.htm.

    ReplyDelete