Thursday, April 4, 2013

More Wheels Under Big Bertha

I thought that I was going to have to remove Big Bertha from the platform it currently sits upon to put more wheels under it -- but I was inspired.  Instead, I drilled and tapped four more 1/2"-13 holes in the platform (and yes, if you tap holes from the top, it is identical from a threading standpoint to tapping them from the bottom).  Then I disassembled the casters so that I could screw the caster housings into the holes, and reassembled the casters once in place. 

I have not rolled it out onto the chipseal to see how it does, because the sky was pretty cloudy this evening, but at least rolling it on the concrete in the telescope garage, it seems to move much more freely than it did on only four wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment