Monday, June 11, 2018

What Do You Call This Part?

A potential customer decided to buy a competing product because it had levelling screws.  (This is actually a good idea because few driveways are truly flat to the Earth.)  I never considered it before because my design is not a dolly, so where would I put it?  The answer: a 1/4" or 1/2" thick steel plate that goes between the caster and the sleeve in which the leg sits.  (Probably 1/4": steel is very stiff and the hole the caster screws into is 1" deep with a 1" stem on the caster.)  Make it 2" longer than the widest part of the sleeve; tap a hole for a thumbscrew with a lobed handle.  I could sell it as an addon to existing customers.

But you don't want literally a screw end hitting the ground.  It will not grab or hold well, and might chew up asphalt.  So something flat a couple inches diameter that screws on to the end of the thumbscrew.  I could make these by cutting slices from a piece of steel round, drill and tap, perhaps with a set screw to lock it to the thunbscrew, but if I know what is called, I could buy it.

Screw Jack Pads!  How obvious.  Maybe making them makes more sense: they are absurdly expensive.  Complete assembly at MSC Direct.


  1. Combine this

    with this

    and the combined price is less than half. Not sure if that meets your "make you own" threshold though.

    McMaster also has leveling feet, but too many options to sort through, and they're a bit more pricey than the Amazon ones.

  2. Another option might be to use socket cap screws, with a plastic cap that has a button that presses into the Allen driver hole. They are normally used to hide/beautify the screws when they are inset in a bore. Not very robust, but easy to replace as they wear out. There may be heavy duty versions available.

    There are caps made to press onto these type screwheads, usually a rubber or hard plastic. They may be a better choice for longevity.