Saturday, December 20, 2014

Just Ordered This

Windows 8 was such a disaster that I have been sulking about buying a new computer.  And then this deal showedup on Amazon.

Lenovo Thinkpad X140e 20BL000BUS 11.6" AMD A4-5000 Quad Core 4GB 500GB Win7 Pro Best Student & Business Ultrabook Laptop

 Windows 7 Pro, quad core, 500 GB hard drive, 4GB RAM and I should be able to run VM and Mint Linux on it.  It is about the dimensions of my wife's Toshiba Portege (which I love), and weighs one pound.  Okay, there's no CD/DVD drive, but I don't use one often, but a USB DVD drive is only $31.75.
To see why I hate Windows 8: see here, and here, and here.

7 comments:

  1. I'd suggest that you do some searching for reviews of that particular setup. Since IBM sold the Thinkpad systems to Lenovo, I have heard that the quality has taken a noticeable drop, although it seems to be quite variable. With the ownership change, "Buyer Beware" would be the watchword.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clayton,

    Congrats on the purchase, I look forward to hearing how it works out.

    Your comment on win 8 had me looking back to your previous posts and I can't seem to find one that details the problems you've had.

    My situation is similar to ones you've had - I found THE application that is losing winXP support (Quicken 2015 needs Vista or later, and Quicken 2012 will stop updating accounts sometime next year).

    So I took advantage of all the sales going on and purchased a Dell XPS 8700 desktop (i7-4790, 8gb mem, 1tb drive for less than $700? Couldn't pass that up).

    Well, it came with win 7 pro, but also has the win 8 recovery disk, so I can upgrade if I want.

    I've seen pros/cons of both, and with 8.1 providing boot to classic desktop (and not the idiotic touchscreen inspired travesty), I am torn as to which way to go.

    Can you do a post describing your experience with win 8? I'd really appreciate it.

    Thanks, and have a a fantastic Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For $50 more you can double the memory to 8gb ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update. I think I'll stick with win7 for the time being - it does what I want and the supposed benefits of win8 are so minor as to be nonexistent (for me). Maybe win10 will have something I need.

    Heck, I stayed with winXP till now, so win7 will do.

    Did you ever get classic desktop to work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You won't regret buying more RAM for it.

    ReplyDelete