Thursday, August 21, 2014

Windows 8: incomprehensible

I have my new laptop and I am regretting the need to reinstall every application, and learn the Windows 8 way of doing things.  Whoever is responsible for the Windows 8 ui deserves underwater stock options for their eff.  rts.  Anytime you devlop a product that is a successor to a wildly successful ptoduct, a change this dramatic is essentially saying, "We don't care about our existing customer base."  (Imagine if Chevrolets stopped having gas gaugues, and replaced steering wheels with tillers instead.  T IS 5HAT RADICAL.  wORSE ANY FEATURES DOM'T WORK. TIRNING ON SPPECH RECOGNITION FAILS ON GETTING THE MCRPHONe WORKING WITH MICROSOFT SOUnf 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          


AA
           















12 comments:

  1. Classic Shell... it gives you back a real windows interface:

    http://www.classicshell.net/

    It's not perfect, but it's MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UNFORTUNATELT, THAT WON;T DOWNLOAD INTO W8

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm running every windows 8 machine I own with it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. something has gone wrong with classicshell's download script then.
    C:Users




























    c:Isers\clayton\AppData\AppData\Local\Temp\aMQn4i5W.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.









    ReplyDelete
  5. The extreme lower left corner of the screen and the right mouse button are your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "windows" key and the "Start" page can be useful--just start typing and it goes into a search mode and points to winners on-machine and off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I bought my first laptop, it came loaded with VISTA --- YECH!

    I feel your pain.

    After the first day, I went out and bought XP and had a geekier-than-me friend load it. Worked fine.

    Early this summer I bought a new laptop ... with Windows 8. So I downloaded Windows 7 and replaced it. Took me about 20 minutes.

    You know, Windows 7 is still available ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought my first Windows 8 machine, and I agree that it is a confusing mess for Windows 7 users.

    I found an ebook that was pretty helpful it helping me map what I know to how Windows 8 wants to do things.

    I thought it was $2 well spent. See:

    http://windows81book.com/about/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Classic Shell is the way to go. I've installed it on three Win8 machines now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have W8 on a new Dell and have found it to be a baffling mess, designed with arrogant disregard for long-ingrained patterns of use.

    Someone who I know bought a recent machine, and was so disgusted with W8 that they returned the machine, swore off Windows entirely, and bought a Mac.

    ReplyDelete