Thursday, November 6, 2014

Broken PC

The Windows 7 PC I have been using these last several years appears to have given up the ghost, probably because of overheating again.  I should just replace it, but that means running out and buying a used one, which I really don't want to do right now.  I am blogging from my antique Ubuntu Linux box.  There are too many things I do that require Microsoft Office, so I guess I need to break down, get the Windows 7 box fixed so that I can backup files to my hard disk external, and then move everything over.

You don't know tired until you try recable the external monitor for this Linux box!  The docking station is refusing to stay docked, which means using it with the bult-in 14" display, keyboard, and mouse.

UPDATE: I took the PC that wouldn't boot to Northwind Computers, and I guess it was afraid of them, because it booted right up.  Still works at home.  Time to backup all files.

8 comments:

  1. Have you checked the cooling vents, usually at the rear and bottom? Perhaps vacuuming might clear out a blockage. Also, you cannot sit them on a soft surface, such as a bed. This will block those airflow vents. You might consider getting one of those cooling trays, with the internal fans. It plugs into a USB port for power, normally.
    Most laptops have a very small fan to help cool the system. If you don't hear this running occasionally, even after the cleaning, it probably ate a bearing. You may be able to replace it with a bit of effort. It probably just plugs in, with a couple screws. They are pretty cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a while to learn, but you could try using OpenOffice, there's a version for Linux.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't you just relocate the hard-disk from the broken windows machine into a dock or external enclosure, and work from there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you checked outOpen Office and Libre Office? both permit one to open and save docs in MicroSloth formats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OpenOffice is similar to Microsoft Office formats, but there are still some differences, enough to be a problem when grading student papers.

    I have a cooling fan under it, but I am not sure that everything is up to date on the backup drive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can still order machines with Windows 7 Professional on them. I've been contemplating getting an Alienware laptop because they still offer Windows 7. Since Alienware is owned by Dell, I'm assuming Dell still offers Windows 7 on some machines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may want to look at Codeweaver's crossover product. They have a Linux product that guarantees that MS Office products will run under Linux. Check out https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux/

    ReplyDelete
  8. replace, or lubricate... I had that kind of heating issue with my HP Laptop... [I keep it on a cutting board so the vents stay clear. Our dogs (five of them) fur clogs the bottom vent, the cooling vents inside and the blades of the actual fan....
    I disassembled, blew out all the various radiators and oiled the fan with model train oil. It's been a year, and the machine is STILL running cool.

    Rich in NC

    ReplyDelete