Sunday, April 5, 2020

When Normalizing a Field Does Not Quite Work

I had Access normalize the cause of incident and category fields.  The cause table had two UNKNOWN entries and category had two PUB entries.  I am guessing that when it read these columns from Excel, there were entries with trailing blanks and Access was not smart enough to see the difference.  So I had to write some SELECT statements that showed which records had the cause_ ID and category_ID that I wanted, then UPDATE those with the correct table entry.  Then I was able to delete the "duplicate" rows in the cause and category tables.  Oh, and I created a form for entering the data.  The datasheet method of entry had lots of horizontal scrolling, just like a spreadsheet.  I am beginning to find Access a bit of a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment