Monday, August 26, 2024

Do You Have Friends at Venmo?

 A couple years ago, one of you nice people sent me $20 through Venmo.  I had no Venmo account so I opened one.  I could never sucessfully move that money to my checking account, but someone hacked into my Venmo account, took that $20 and proceeded to use it for I suspect shady purposes.  Fortunately, Venmo is so insecure that I was able to regain control of the account.

Then I received a notice that someone bought cryptocurrency with my Venmo account.  I tried to get in and delete my Venmo account.  But it wanted me to give the verification code that it texted to a number ending with four digits that I have never used.  There is no phone number that I can find that lets me talk to a human at Venmo.  The Chastbot is not smart enough to recognize "human agent."  I really want this awful thing to forget that I exist.

They keep insisting that my selfie with my license is too blurry to use.  This is obviously a way to keep  the account open.  FDIC next.

1 comment:

  1. There should be some way to open a complaint about identity theft. Failing that, since it is a financial institution, you might be able to open a complaint via the FDIC or the Fed.

    I had some trouble with a bank. Opened a complaint with the Fed on a Friday, it was fixed on Tuesday.

    I don't know if Venmo is a bank, but it might be. Banks can have their credentials pulled if the Fed decides they are doing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete