Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Today's Scam

 It looks legit.  I call the number and the East Indian in a boiler room wants me to correct the error with a URL ending in live.  Oh yes, if I do not, the charge will go to my checking account.  Worse, when I try to close my Venmo account which has been hacked in the past, it wants to send me a verification code to a number that I have never had.  Venmo is apparently very insecure.

Venmo's instructions for dealing with this are wrong.  No such choices appear.  They seem to have no phone number.

venmo
venmo

Delaney Foster requests $79.99

Your account has been charged for a cryptocurrency purchase. If you didn’t authorize this, reach out to support at +1 (808) 460_6127. Transaction ID: DX24KG8MT.

Send money. Transfer to your bank.
Make sure you know how to spot payment scams - you might not get your money back if someone scams you.
Venmo is a service of PayPal, Inc., a licensed provider of money transfer services. All money transmission is provided by PayPal, Inc. pursuant to PayPal, Inc.’s licenses.

PayPal is located at

2211 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95131

If you do not wish to receive this type of email from Venmo in the future, unsubscribe with one click.

No comments:

Post a Comment