Thursday, February 1, 2024

Making the Wife Happy

I need to cut some 1.04" x 1.01" squares from this 6 x 6 square of carbon fiber. I was going to cut off a 1 1/8" x 6" section on the chop saw but my wife said no. It is a very scary tool and I once jocularly referred to it as the hand chopper.

So I removed the vise from the mill and used holddowns to lock it to the mill table.  I am waiting for my U.S. made 1/8" carbide end mill to arrive.  I will then send the dogs into the back yard, open the garage door, put on my dust mask and rubber gloves, set the shop vac to suck up all the dust as it comes off the material and start out at .05"/minute until I am sure that it will not be excessive load.  This stuff is stronger than steel and an 1/8" end mill is not very strong.

1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth, I have a table saw that my dad "souped up" so its normal horsepower was about doubled, and I still get a hyper-alert, moment of fear when I fire it up and cut wood with it.

    ReplyDelete