Friday, January 28, 2011

That HP M1536dnf I Bought...

I mentioned it yesterday, but I have some more nice things to say about it.  This has a FAX component, along with the printer, copier, and scanner.  (I keep looking for signs that it will diaper my granddaughter, but that may be expecting a bit much.  If you think I'm being completely silly--I went to an HP product idea event some years ago where one of our inkjet printers was doing fingernails, and another one was printing three dimensional objects, using colored starch.)

One of the unfortunate things about a FAX machine at home is that you used to need a separate phone line, so that your human callers would not get the silly FAX squeal when the FAX picked up.  But this FAX is a bit smarter than that.  You can set it up to wait until your answering machine picks up the phone--and then it listens for the FAX tones from the far end.  Only then does it start receiving the FAX.  And it works!  I had a friend in California FAX me something, and it worked as advertised: the answering machine picked up the phone, the display on the HP said "INCOMING FAX" and received and printed it!  Very cool!

The other thing about the M1536dnf, compared to its predecessor, is the weight.  This weighs about 25 pounds or so.  The 4100 MFP it replaces weighs about 75 pounds.  (I had to weigh it for figuring out shipping.)  I've put an ad up on eBay for it; I do hope someone buys it.  It prints fine, it copies and scans--although the automatic document feeder sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't.

The M1536dnf also seems quieter than the 4100 MFP, which seemed to be louder even in power save mode.

1 comment:

  1. H-P in the late 90s a German engineer took apart an HP printer, used the guts and wrote software to allow printing on packages.
    see www.wolke.com

    I sold these for about 7 years. Very nifty technology.

    H-P initially tried to sue him but once he had bought the printer, he could do whatever he wanted with it. H-P finally saw the light and gave him a license to the technology.

    Canon printers print on cake icing. That is how you get pictures on cakes. H-P didn't want to do it because of food safety liability issues.

    In Berkely a few years ago some biologists were printing mouse ears on a substrate using some sort of liquid tissue. The ears could then be surgically implanted on the mouse.

    H-P has a whole division in San Diego that does nothing but think up new uses for H-P printing technology.

    Pretty cool stuff.

    John Henry

    ReplyDelete