Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gluten Free Bisquick

I'm impressed at the level of interest in gluten free cooking.  A wife of one of my regular readers runs a blog devoted to gluten free cooking: Gluten-Free Nancy.  It looks like a number of interesting recipes over there.  She agrees that Ener-G's breads are "biohazard" but she says they make nice gluten-free breadcrumbs.

One of the items that I bought at Winco on the last shopping trip was Bisquick Gluten Free.  I grew up with Bisquick, the preferred agent in our home for making pancakes, waffles, and biscuits.  (You know, the kind where you roll out the dough, keep folding it over, and then, after 64 or 128 layers, you use a cup to cut out the circles.) 

A few years back, I stopped buying Bisquick for pancakes, and started buying the Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix, as well as their waffle mix.  Partly this was because Bisquick, while it makes fine biscuits, is a bit salty.  The pancakes and waffles just were not that tasty, compared to Krusteaz.  Another reason was that Krusteaz mix had everything except water.  There were too many occasions when I decided to make pancakes, and found that we were out of eggs.

Anyway, my daughter suggested that I get some of the Bisquick Gluten Free, which she says tastes just regular Bisquick.  Today, I used it to make the cakes for strawberry shortcake--and yes, I agree!  The flavor is the same, although the texture is a bit more crumbly.  Gluten really is remarkable stuff.

Looking at the ingredients list, I see rice flour, potato starch, and xanthan gum--about what I would expect.  It's a bit expensive (as are all prepared gluten free alternatives), but I can see buying it again, for making biscuits, and maybe for pancakes--although the pancake mix my daughter put together for me as a Christmas gift is just splendid.

No comments:

Post a Comment