Friday, November 27, 2015

LED Bulbs

I was so happy with the first set of these:

that I ordered more. The master bathroom vanity had five 52 watt incandescents (mostly because of heat concerns) so replacing them with these has transformed the room.  Far more light for shaving and applying makeup, and much whiter (like daylight).  And even with the dramatic increase in illumination, I am using 1/4 of the electricity. 

When I tried putting the LED bulbs in the outside security light fixtures, the lights flickered.  Some pages I visited suggested cleaning the inside of the socket to get a better connection, or see if all the electrical connections to the fixture were good.  So I wiped the interior of the socket (with power off), then removed the fixture from wall, where I found not wire nuts, but some other type of connector that looked far too solid to easily disassemble or suspect.  I now wonder if the issue is that these lights are so bright that they are turning off the light sensor of the fixture for a fraction of a second and when darkness arrives, the power goes back on.  This may require some tuning of the fixture's light sensitivity.

1 comment:

  1. Many years ago, when my dad installed a post light in our backyard, my mother wanted something to turn the light on at dusk and off at dawn. The first thing we bought was a hooded sensor that was screwed into the light socket, and the bulb screwed into that. There was a high frequency flicker and rf noise that even a foil shield didn't fix, so we went to timers and eventually X-10.

    ReplyDelete