Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Colonoscopy: Never Fun, But Getting Less Unpleasant

Five years ago, the protocol involved chugging 64 ounces of Miralax solution over a couple of hours, at the end of which I was nauseous and vomiting.  Now, you take 32 ounces the night before, and 32 the morning of the procedure.  Still not pleasant, but no nausea, no vomiting.

They also used a bit less of whatever induces twilight sleep, so I can remember bits and pieces of what happened.  It was slightly uncomfortable in places, but not too bad, and I can remember seeing the interior of my colon on the screen.  The doctor found one small polyp, which he was pretty sure was benign, but they are sending it out to pathology, of course.  That means another one of these in five years.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'd rather be out cold. I hear they are working on a PSA type test that can detect proteins produced by the cancer. That would be a huge improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fleet Phospho-Soda's another alternative if it's the volume that's getting you down, and only required drinking a couple spoonfuls of the stuff mixed with 16 ounces of liquid. It tastes so vilely salty that not puking takes a good deal of effort, but at least it's over quick.

    ReplyDelete