Sunday, June 8, 2014

College Weapons Policies

I am researching the development of college weapons policies, and up to about 1920, it is going very well.  I can see a definite development of these policies in college catalogs.  However: after 1920, it gets very difficult.  I have requested information from University of Delaware, Boise State University, and University of Idaho concerning when their current weapons policy was adopted, and what previous policies were, and when they were adopted.

Can you easily find this information for your alma mater or where you currently teach?  If so, it would be very helpful.

My impression was that these weapons policies are very recent -- passed in the 1990s in response to campus shootings.  But I can see that they are clearly quite common in the 19th century and into the early 20th century.  Is it possible that these policies were relaxed after World War II because of ROTC programs, or perhaps because of the disappearance of in loco parentis in the 1960s and 1970s?  I am not sure, and I do not have enough data at this point to say for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment