Saturday, June 28, 2014

Browning Hi-Power Magazine Disconnect: Any Gunsmiths That Do This?

I could not find any gunsmiths in Boise that will remove the magazine disconnect, so I tried to do it myself.  Not because I am a cheapskate (although I am)--I would have gladly paid $50 to have it done--but gunsmiths around here are all skittish about the legal liability.  This makes no sense to me--how does making the gun more likely to hit the intended target dangerous?

These instructions were simple and clear.  Unfortunately, they do not work on later Hi-Powers.  By the time I was done, I managed to reassemble the gun, but the trigger no longer fires.  Yet recent articles like this indicate that gunsmiths routinely remove the magazine disconnector.  Any suggestions?

UPDATE: I found a local gunsmith willing to do this.  No need to ship it off.

4 comments:

  1. I have kept this link to try it on my Hi-Power, but I haven't tried it yet. It's in a forum so there is a lot of good feedback: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=133740

    It might be worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Alex Hamilton at Ten Ring Precision in San Antonio removed the disconnect on my later (about 2000 something) Hi Power. Website: http://tenring.com/ He does very very good work, but of course you would have to ship the pistol to San Antonio and back.

    2. Another option is to see if you can still get Stephen Camp's "Shooter's Guide to the Browning Hi Power". Mr. Camp was a police officer and Hi Power aficionado, well noted for his Hi Power knowledge and gentlemanliness, who published a lot of good stuff on the Hi Power.

    Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago, but his website is still there, and I see it has his wife's name on the mailing address, so maybe she is still selling copies. (He passed before the Kindle publishing format hit the internet, so his stuff is paper, spiralbound format). Here's the website: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim: I looked at that one as well, but I am bit shy now, especially because I could not drive out the trigger pin. Unless every gunsmith who does this is outrageously expensive, my time is worth too much to try and do anything complex myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clayton,

    Which gunsmith did you use? I have a FM95 (Argentine Hi-Power manufactured under license from FN) and am interested in having this done.

    A.J.

    ReplyDelete