Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Asphalt: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

I was getting ready to take the estimate of $2800 to do a small section of the section in front of the telescope garage in asphalt -- about 1400 square feet, and a couple hundred more to repair some damage on the existing driveway.  The larger 1600 square foot section in the turnaround in front of the telescope garage was just too expensive.

And then I received a call from a guy who talked to my pastor a day or two ago.  He's an asphalt contractor.  Someone canceled an asphalt paving job -- and you can't return asphalt, nor can you store it for long.  He had his crew, his equipment, and slowly cooling asphalt.  For $4000, they are doing both sections, and repairing the damage.  I suspect that he is not making any money on this, but at least he using material that will be useless in a couple of days, and paying his workers.  I hope whatever he charges for the cancellation fee will at least make him some profit.

This has to be the most integrated construction crew that I have ever seen here: blacks; Hispanics; whites: all working their tails off in near darkness.  (The spreader blew a hydraulic hose, so they are doing much of this by hand.)

UPDATE: All done!  I am really impressed!  Even if I didn't get the bargain rate, I would have been impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment