Monday, May 31, 2021

Tapmatic

 I have not used it in a year and a half.  I needed to tap several pieces of plastic.  Nothing worked.  I either had the chuck holding the Tapmatic stop holding it, or the arbor holding the chuck let go.  It appears that the vibration and reverse motion of a tapping head makes the semimagic molecular binding of arbors stop working.  

I fiddled long enough with the rod that stops the motion of the Tapmatic and the torque setting so that it started working, but the arbor kept coming loose.  So I put some Loctite on the arbor, and I am letting it sit.

That was a waste of $8.  Loctite holds it not at all.

Is there a way to remove the arbor holder from a Harbor Freight drill press?  Or is it throwaway?

I used isopropyl alcohol AND acetone on the taper this time.  Much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment