Monday, August 22, 2016

Setting Up a Wireless Router As Access Point

The TP_LINK wi-fi extender seems to have stopped working and the Reset button does NOT return it to its new state.  Worse, TP_LINK's support website will not let me in, nor does resetting my password help.  It appears that all I need is a wireless router.

0. Find a cheap used wireless router.

1. Connect a PC to the router.

2. Disable DHCP.

3. Give it an IP address that is not in the reserved IP address range of my current router.

4, Disconnect the PC from the AP router.

5. Plug my Ethernet cable into the WAN port on the AP router.

Is it that simple?

I am returning the TPLINK wifi extender.  It doesn't work and customer support could not figure it out.

4 comments:

  1. Do you need one? I have a router that I picked up at a garage sale. It wasn't the correct version of the router that I wanted and I have no need for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure. Thanks. 36 Sunburst Rd., Horseshoe Bend, ID 83629 What did you pay for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. $5. I'll get it boxed up and out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mailed it out on Tuesday the 30th. I don't need anything for it. Consider it good karma and pass it along.

    ReplyDelete