Thursday, January 23, 2020

When the CNC Laptop Display Failed

I hooked it up to an external monitor and used the only magic that I remembered Fn +F4.  One of you reminded me of that.  As I was getting ready to sell it on eBay for parts, I realized that the external connector was unlikely to share much with the display panel, so I tried again.  This time it worked!  I wonder if I had a loose connector to the display.

I am thrilled because the laptop works for updating software through WiFi, unlike the version of linuxCNC on the desktop.  And the new ac1200 router is visible from the shop.  It is not blinding speed (7.2Mbps) but better than trying to move stuff on flash drives.

The desktop is a nice pretty quick antique with a 250GB hard drive. Someone on Craig's List will want it.

2 comments:

  1. "with a 250MB hard drive..."

    That's an antique!

    (As a fellow old phart, I remember when 170MB drives were huge.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOps, 250GB. The first PC har drive I saw was 5MB, $2000.

    ReplyDelete