Saturday, January 25, 2020

Let Us Now Praise GREAT Customer Service

I ordered this USB WiFi because they promised Linux support.  I was skeptical; there are as many releases as subbranches of Linus as there are lies about Trump.  The installation manual gave support for Mint 18.03 and Ubuntu 16.04.  Great.  What do I do with my antique release of debian?  I chatted with someone at TP-Link who managed to cobble up a driver that worked with my antique.  It is providing service at 6 Mbps far away in the garage!

And $9.99!

1 comment:

  1. Clayton,

    you probably don't need this now, but if you have an old Android phone you can connect it to your home Wi-Fi, then USB tether it to the Linux box. Believe it or not there's some people who suggest doing that instead of using a USB adapter, because so few of them work with Linux out of the box. (I actually did this for a while last year while trying to compile a driver for a USB adapter.)

    ReplyDelete