Saturday, January 30, 2016

Tapmatic

I am considering purchase of Tapmatic threading attachment for drill press.  These replace the dspindle, and when you release the handle on the press, they reverse direction and back the tap out.  This would speed up tapping threads, and reduce my dependence on people with strong right hands to manually turn the spindle with a tap in it.  Not quite sure what I need to order.  I guess there are adapters to fit a Tapmatic to various spindle sizes.  Not quite sure what these Harbor Freight drill presses use.  Anyone with experience with Tapmatic (an Idaho company!) or competitors?

2 comments:

  1. The gold standard for tapping holes in a hurry. You probably want an X series. Adapters are available for either bridgeport spindles or straight shanks for collets or drill presses. The clutch is a lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd suggest checking at practicalmachinist.com, for that info. Do a forum search first, as I remember Tapmatic being mentioned fairly often.

    ReplyDelete