Thursday, July 18, 2019

Monitor Flickering

I have an antique Viewsonic monitor which several of my readers have repaired over the years usually when it just went black.  I am now getting occasional flickering of different colors, sometimes localized, sometimes broadly distributed.  I am sure that this means it is on its last legs.  Any guesses as to what is going to fail?  Would it make more sense to buy a new monitor when this fails?  I can get a 22" 1920x1080 for $80 at Amazon.

Two causes: loss of red was a loose connector on the monitor (that should have been obvious); the flicker seemed to reduce with an updated driver.  If I could find the refresh rate control, I would try that.  It seems that this is fixed at 60 Hz.

1 comment:

  1. I would definitely get a new monitor. When my old 21" Dell monitor went out, I found a 32" 1080p TV that I thought would get me by until I could get a proper monitor.

    That was over a year ago, and I'm still using that 32" Acer flatscreen, running it at native resolution of 1920x1080 with an HDMI connection from my Nvidia GTX660 video card. It has a beautiful picture, is plenty sharp & I can have 4 pages across open on it at once. For watching movies it's great too!

    Oh, and it doesn't break my back to move it, either- which was a real worry with my old Dell!

    Please keep us posted on what you choose to do!

    ReplyDelete