Friday, September 27, 2024

Machining

 I am making a set of what ScopeRollers would have been if I was making them for a captive audience with an unlimited budget: more precision than anyone can afford.

I needed a tigh fit inside a .990" inside square tube.  So I machined a piec e of 1.01" xquare aluminum tube to just fit.


The machining stripes are cosmetic.  They are ridges caused by using a 1/2" diameter end mill at 1/4" intervals.  They are so close to flat that I cannot feel them, so likely less than .003" high or deep (I am not sure which).  Ordinarily, you remove them by using a flycutter, which runs a cutting tool in a circle acros the entire surface.  Sanding works well, too, although taking some material with it.

Here it is taking .005" slices off.

I wanted something between an interference fit, which requires tapping it into square tube, and a clearance fit.  That describes, it takes finger pressure to get into the tube, so it will stay while I drill and tap a hole to hold it in place.  I wish I could have done a better job getting my hand out of the way.


The next step is cutting that square block into three segments with 30 degree angles for the threaded stem casters.



No comments:

Post a Comment