Wednesday, June 13, 2018

This Secondary Mirror Holder That I Have Invested Too Much Time In

I have had concerns about the design for some time.  I found this wonderfully simple design here:



Unlike my design which used a hexagonal part and three legs, this uses a square hub, very easy to machine, and much easier to attach the legs to.  At the end of the video you can see how the three adjustment screws move the diagonal holder.  This can also use the diagonal holder that I have already made.  I just need to machine a .75" x .75" x .5" aluminum square, cut the legs from .055" aluminum sheet, tap some 6-32 holes in the hub, drill holes in the legs and put it all together. 

However, along the way I found that Destiny makes spiders and diagonal holders (and elliptical mirrors) at a price that does not justify my labor.  The several week wait is the case for building one on this design, and the sense of accomplishment.  But if this isn't complete by tomorrow afternoon, I may just put up with the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment