Thursday, August 25, 2022

Pistol Safes

A friend forwarded this article to me.  It is 10 years old but the lack of response from the makers makes me wonder if they have fixed these flaws or just figured that most 3-year-olds are not going to try to open a pistol safe.

Quite literally, some of these were opened by the author's 3-year-old lifting one side of the safe and dropping it.  The locking mechanism is spring-loaded and even trivial vibration is enough.  Even better, many of these are Cal. DOJ approved.

Yes, if screwed to a flat surface this approach would likely not be feasible but could you bang one on the side hard enough?

I keep my guns in a Browning safe that is not spring-loaded and only Bam-Bam from the Flintstones could lift and a safe whose mechanism I fully understand which is not readily defeated by this approach.  I would love to know if any of the current safes (made in China, of course) have fixed these problems.  I have also read that some kitchen cutlery can defeat some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment