Thursday, May 19, 2022

I Feel Stupid

A few weeks back, I bought a Lenovo USB to HDMI adapter so that I could attach a third monitor (UHD(.  Now the max resolution was less than UHD but still nice to have.  While engaging in Lenovo fora to figure out why the promised 2560x? resolution turned out to only be 1920x1080, another user asked me why I was not using the display ports on the back of the laptop?  There are two Thunderbolt ports and A USB-C port.  The manual says the USB-C can go above UHD resolution.   I just ordered a USB-C to HDMI cable. 

More stupid.  This is an FHD monitor.  I think the UHD monitor ended up on the mill's Linux box where the higher resolution does not get used.  Swap tomorrow I think.

1 comment:

  1. " While engaging in Lenovo fora to figure out why the promised 2560x? resolution turned out to only be 1920x1080"

    The answer to this is usually something like "it's not an HDMI 2.0 port (or maybe it's the cable's fault)". I have a 144Hz 2560x1440 monitor that I tried to use with a laptop with an HDMI port, and the port can drive the monitor at the right resolution but only at 60Hz. This isn't always clearly documented, unfortunately.

    Make sure your USB-C ports on your laptop are actually Thunderbolt--or, if you have a DisplayPort port on your monitor, see if the USB-C supports that, as those usually have higher resolution/refresh rates.

    ReplyDelete