Monday, November 7, 2016

Strange Debian Linux Behavior

I have been running a LinuxCNC version of Debian Wheezy in the shop and under VMWare 11 for some time.  VMWare encouraged an upgrade to v12.  Afterwards, starting Debian Wheezy produced this odd error:
Welcome to emergency mode! .... systemctl default" to try again to boot into default mode.
sulogin: root account is locked, starting shell
root@VMlinux:~#
I tried systemctl default and reboot.

Neither fixed the problem.  Eventually I figured out how to go back to V11 and the problem persists.  I have enough stuff installed on this now dead virtual machine that I don't want to abandon it and reinstall the LinuxCNC Debian.

2 comments:

  1. If you haven't tried it, boot from a livecd and try to repair the installation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty paranoid about virtual machines, backing them up a lot.

    In my case, I have had a couple get corrupted. Virtual machines are a pain because they are just undifferentiated big blobs on the disk, so you either back up a lot of dreck, or use have to cook a backup/recovery into them.

    ReplyDelete