Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Turning on Collision Coverage

Every winter, for a number of years, I have turned on collision insurance on the X-type and removed it on my three season car (until two years ago, the Corvette).  I reverse this when we get past snow.  This isn't really necessary anymore because the Jaguar XF with snow/ice tires is as surefooted as the X-type with studded snow tires, and the tire switching twice is really cheap.  But I need a new battery in the X-type, so I called Progressive today to turn collision on.  It used to be immediate turn-on and turn-off.  Turn-on is now delayed five days, but turn-off is still immediate.  Why?

I think I have figured it out.  Someone is driving a car without collision coverage.  He has an accident, then calls the same day and turns on collision, figuring that the insurer won't know if the accident was before or after collision was turned on.  With a five day interval this scam won't work.  It is annoying, but the battery problem can wait five days.  I have been thinking of trading the X-type and TrailBlazer in on a new SUV (perhaps a Jeep Patriot) for my wife and this collision switching will no longer be needed.

6 comments:

  1. I really like Honda Ridgeline PU 4-door All wheel drive

    ReplyDelete
  2. While examining SUV's, do not overlook the Toyota Highlander AWD. We are on our 3rd (selling previous ones to children as we bought new).

    We have never had one issue or problem with any of them, either
    mechanical or in performance. We have always purchased the V-6 AWD models, and we routinely equip them with Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded snow tires.

    Our newest SUV is the 2105 Limited version with what I call the "old man tech package". The radar cruise and anti-collision system is wonderful; it holds, adjusts and regulates cruise control distance and speed at all speeds above about 22 mph. Blind spot warning, lane departure warning, rear cross-traffic warning, rear obstacle warning, rear back-up camera, etc, all combine to assist in safe driving. The V6 has great power, achieving passing speed unstrained and lightning quick. It has heated and cooled 8-way power memory seats, tons of interior space, and a butter smooth ride.

    At least test drive one before deciding on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clayton, make sure you can turn off or otherwise control all those collision avoidance electronics. From what I hear, they don't necessarily work too well in snow country. Check with other owners before paying for things that you can't use half the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Jaguar's collision avoidance technology is between my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will,

    What you have heard is different than what I have experienced first hand.
    I just returned from a 12 hour round trip going from clear to heavy rain, then heavy snow (and highway slush spray from passing cars and semis) wherein the technology worked flawlessly.

    Clayton,

    The now ubiquitous anti-lock brake system is a type of collision avoidance technology. I remember people skeptical of that when it first appeared.

    The current state of the art tech in modern vehicles is not bleeding edge; it is mature and works well. It is just new to those who have not experienced it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out the Jeep Renegade. We got my wife one last year. Amazing little vehicle.

    ReplyDelete