Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Daisy PowerLine 880S

Can't find snakeshot for driving away cows; my wife was just in tears yesterday when she saw the devastation they had done to her flowerbeds.  I bought a Daisy.  It is hand pumped and while the packaging says it fires either pellets or BBs, firing pellets (which look a bit like mini Minie balls) is single shot only.  BBs make it a repeater.  Worse the included 4x15 scope seems impossible to mount, and would cover the loading port for pellets (which is all I bought).  BBs definitely.

Even with iron sights (plastic sights?) it is pretty darn accurate and the pellets make an emphatic sound when they hit fence posts.

4 comments:

  1. If you can find out who owns the cows, could you sue them for damages?

    (I realize you might not want to, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider the CO2 Crossman pistols. I've had a 1911 copy that holds maybe a dozen pellets in an inline magazine between the sights. Unfortunately, the mag feeding system requires flat nose pellets, but I seem to recall there are revolver versions that don't have this limitation.
    Oh, and it fits into a regular 1911 type holster, so it's always handy if required for cattle dissuasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had one of those for ages. The scope used to be great, but once I took the gun apart to change the O-rings (after 20 years) and I wasn't able to get it aligned again. I've been able to feed pellets manually without the scope on, but I wished for a device like the cap holder for my Navy Colt. (You can do it with BB's loaded by tilting the gun so they don't catch the magnet, then halfway closing the bolt.) Even with the "Iron" sights, I've been able to teach some crows the better part of murder.

    I recently replaced it with a Gamo "Bone Collector", which has a much nicer scope, but I haven't had a chance to really sight it in, and it's supersonic - quite loud for the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The guns are fun, I'll admit, but have you considered an electric fence to keep the cattle out? It's fairly easy to rig a fence that will work for cows, and the charger you use for your fence may not cost more than a reasonably good air rifle. I have two electric fences on my property: one to keep the horses contained in their pasture, and one to keep the deer out of the garden. The horse one is heavy duty and can be either AC powered or by a boat battery in case of power failure, while the garden one is a solar powered unit.

    ReplyDelete