Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Improving the Harbor Freight Bandsaw

To set cutting angles from 0-55 degrees required loosening two 14mm bolts quite a bit and turning the face against which the workpiece is pressed by the clamp.  This did not move easily, because the surface the moving face rubs against had some sort of glue hardened on it.  I sanded the surface with 220 paper, and now the moving face requires very little loosening of the bolt to reposition easily.

I have ordered a self-reversing tapping head from Accusize in Toronto which I expect in a week or so.  In the meantime, I have been slicing aluminum chunks to be tapped in preparation.

To my surprise, amazement, and joy, I found a 14mm socket for a 1/2" socket wrench in my collection of tools left over from my first new car, a 1976 Datsun 210.  (Don't laugh; it worked very well for me, except for the time I went around a corner fast enough that body roll pulled the speedometer cable off the back of the speedometer.  How's that possible?  I was a pretty typical 18 year old speed demon when I worked at JPL.)

No comments:

Post a Comment