Thursday, August 6, 2015

Trump Rising

Former NYC Mayor Giuliani, who would never have been mistaken for a conservative says this about Trump from Real Clear Politics:
In an appearance on MSNBC's Hardball Wednesday evening former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R) praised Donald Trump, saying he has a little bit of Reagan in him.

"First of all, he's not a Roman candle," Giuliani told host Chris Matthews. "This is a very smart guy. This is a person who is media savvy in ways that some of the other candidates aren't. And he's a lot more substantive than you realize. I've know Donald 25 years. Meaning, he understands a lot of the world issues with a lot more depth than you probably realize."

"So we might have a little of a Ronald Reagan here, a guy they underestimate," Giuliani observed. "And in my particular case, I'm personal friends with five or six of them. And I have a hard time deciding who I'd like to see be president and I'm probably going to take a little while. But I expect Donald Trump is going to do pretty darn well tomorrow night."

I'm old enoughb to remember the contempt that the media and Republican establishment (the ones who think of themselves as  pragmatic, responsible sorts) had for Reagan, who spoke to the feelings of many Americans.

1 comment:

  1. OTOH, Regan was talking about restraining government and Trump about expanding it.

    ReplyDelete