Saturday, August 1, 2015

Fun With Machining

I have finished writing all thegCode I need, although machining the part is the final step, when the replacement stepper motor arrives.  I had originally planned to make this part in one operation, with the legs upright.
However the height would be tight on the Sherline mill, so I have decided to make it in threee steps, which I have named prone, standing and supine, for obvious reasons.

I also had another reminder of the importance of sharp cutting tools.  ScopeRoller makes a lot of 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 threaded holes in aluminum.  My worker noticed that when making the 3/8"-16 holes, the tap produced beautiful threads, much nicer thn the 1/4"-20 tap did.  The 1/4"-20 tap I have had for many years, and itr is no longer very sharp.  I replaced it with a new one.  Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment