Saturday, May 30, 2015

Concealed Carry on Campus Coming To Texas

From May 30, 2015 Reuters:

The Republican-controlled Texas Senate voted on Saturday to allow the licensed carrying of concealed handguns in most state university buildings.

The measure includes a caveat that lets college presidents designate "gun-free zones" on their campuses.

Passage by the Republican-dominated House of Representatives is expected on Sunday and would send it on to Republican Governor Greg Abbott to be signed into law.

As I pointed out a couple months ago in Shotgun News, pocket carry is a bit foolish.  


Mauser said...

Sounds like some of these incidents might have been prevented by the simple expedient of engaging the safety too.

Jim Dunmyer said...

Pocket carry is my preferred method: I use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster that covers the trigger guard, in a pocket that holds nothing else, ever. Biggest disadvantage is that it's near-impossible to draw while sitting.

Reason it works for me is that I'm normally at home, fooling around in my shop, either alone or working on a project with friends. However, we go to a restaurant for lunch and dinner. I don't care to have the gun on me during most of the day, but I certainly want to carry when I leave. The gun stays in the holster at all times, I just pick it up, along with my car keys/fob on the way out the door. Upon return, it gets laid on the shelf near my keys, covered by an old hat.

My normal dress is a work uniform, with a tucked-in shirt, so an IWB holster won't work. (I do have a couple of clip-on IWB holsters, but an untucked shirt needs to cover the gun)

My pants pocket is deep enough that the pistol (Ruger LC9) is secure. Plus, the LC9 has a manual safety to help prevent an ND from other causes.

Clayton Cramer said...

Mauser: Some manual safeties slip off with too little pressure.

Kirk Parker said...

What Jim said, only more so.

My always-with-me gun is a Kel-Tec P3AT in a DeSantis pocket holster. The trigger guard--actually the whole gun--is completely covered. By simply following the other expedient Jim mentions--nothing else ever goes in that pocket--it's completely safe.