Sunday, December 22, 2013

Semester Almost Over...

I have submitted the final grades.  All that is left is a curiosity called Outcomes Assessment, where we are supposed to identify how well students learned particular segments of the course.  Heck, I thought that was what the final grade was supposed to show, but perhaps because CWI is still operating under the College of Southern Idaho's accreditation, we have to do a more detailed analysis based on the various segments of Western Civilization that the class covers.  It is mildly annoying.

I have two paying projects to keep me busy in the intervening weeks between now and the next semester starting in late January.

4 comments:

  1. Be sure your Outcomes Assessment examines students' performance through the lenses of race, gender and class.

    ;)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nice thing about online classes is you have NO IDEA what race they are, and often, no idea what sex. I have students named Vinny -- which I would assume is a guy, but it isn't. Even in the face-to-face class, I seldom manage to match up names on papers to faces, so I am often completely color-blind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expect that they are looking for the gay & ethnic studies portion of Western Civilisation to have a profound effect on the students.

    Verstehen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always made a matrix of test questions and correct vs incorrect responses.

    I did this when I proctored and marked an exam for a colleague who had a family emergency -- it never occurred to him that a metric of "how many got this question wrong" might be a useful tool for improving instruction.

    ReplyDelete