Thursday, December 19, 2013

Forgot The Gun Safe Combination Again

One of the signs that you haven't taken the big toys out in too long is when you can't remember the gun safe combination.  I had this happen several years ago, but eventually, all the synapses gathered themselves together, and remembered the numbers.  This time, I eventually remembered all the numbers by going out to the safe and turning the dial until my visual memory of opening the safe took over... but even though I was sure that I had all three numbers, it still would not open.  Why?

It is a Sargent & Greenleaf lock on a Browning safe (yes, I did not cheap out on the safe), and here are the detailed directions for opening such a lock that I found through the miracles of the Internet:
Clear the lock by turning the dial clockwise, a time or two will do. You can stop at zero if you like or go on past slightly, it doesn't make a difference on mine.
1st number - turn counterclockwise & past the number 3 times, stop on the number on the 4th turn
2nd number - turn clockwise past the number twice, stop on the number on the third turn
3rd number - turn counterclockwise past the number once, stop on the number on the second turn
4th number - turn clockwise until stopped
I was apparently not doing enough counterclockwise turns on the first number, or perhaps I was not clearing the lock in the first step before trying the rest.

Needless to say, I have found a way to have the numbers and instructions readily but stealthily available.

No comments:

Post a Comment